Our View: Teachers Leaving Doesn’t Define Us

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Current's Editorial Staff

In an unexpected turn of events, three Black River teachers have left their jobs during the 2019-2020 school year. As students, we acknowledge that this is an unusual experience for us, and that it can be difficult for the student body as a whole.

It can be challenging to deal with the loss of a classroom culture that you enjoyed and looked forward to. It can be challenging to experience sudden changes to your day-to-day expectations and to feel unprepared for what comes next. We value the comradery, cohesion, and relationships that we build during a school year, and it is hard to lose that.

Despite the many rumors that often surround these types of events, we at The Current will not be speculating about the motives, reasoning, or individuals involved. We don’t know all the facts. We respect people’s privacy. We respect the law.

According to the First Amendment, we do have free speech rights, but that does not include the right to commit slander or libel. This means that we refuse to print things in this newspaper that we don’t know to be true. We also refuse to put our newspaper in the position of causing harm to any individual’s reputation.

We acknowledge that change can be hard. Many students are grieving the loss of relationships, expectations, and classroom environments.

But change can also be good. With change, we learn new skills and are exposed to new experiences and perspectives. We find new beginnings.

We at The Current want to encourage the student body to remember that students are what make this school—we create the culture, and we have the ability to maintain that culture. Teachers leaving the school does not have to change who we are as a student body.

We as students can avoid speculation and rumors. We can use caution with our words and assumptions, and move forward with an optimistic and supportive attitude toward each other.

At the end of the day, change is inevitable. It is universal and unavoidable. It is part of growing up, and it causes us to grow. It is life.