Stress Relief for Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stress Relief for Students

Karalyne Chesser, Writer

We all have experienced a high level of stress at some time during our academic career. Fortunately, there have been many scientific studies done about the topic of stress relief. There are some easy things that you can do to calm down and feel less anxious, which can be beneficial to your academic career and your health. Some things are short term and can be done in just a few seconds, while others are long term changes that can improve your lifestyle.

If you have a pet, it has been scientifically proven that petting animals releases a hormone called Oxytocin, which reduces your stress levels.

Other studies have shown that exercising, lighting a candle, and even reducing your caffeine intake are all things that can help you to feel less stressed.

Laughing is a way to relieve stress that is normally overlooked. According to Mayo Clinic, “When you laugh, it not only lightens your mental load but also causes positive physical changes in your body. Laughter fires up and then cools down your stress response. So read some jokes, tell jokes, watch a comedy or hang out with your funny friends. Or give laughter yoga a try.”

When you are stressed, have you ever heard someone say “take a deep breath”? If so, they are completely correct. Take a deep breath, say thank you, find a happy place, correct your posture, strike a pose, and get some air.

As we head into our new semester, try out some of these stress-reducing strategies to reduce anxiety and benefit your health.