Tips for Driving in the Wintertime

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tips for Driving in the Wintertime

Roads More Dangerous in Wintertime

Roads More Dangerous in Wintertime

"Everett WA. / USA - 02/09/2019: Snow Covered Car Drives Down Street During Unusual Winter Snow Storm" by ShebleyCL is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Roads More Dangerous in Wintertime

Roads More Dangerous in Wintertime

Dylan Leonard Serie, Editor

Many drivers, new and old, are unaware of some ways to make their wintertime driving safer for everyone. Most of those who attend Black River commute to school by car, and whether it’s students driving themselves, or parents driving their kids, travelling by car is especially dangerous during the winter. Every year, twenty-four percent of crashes are caused by icy roads. According to www.Carsurance.com over 1,300 people are killed in crashes, and 116,800 are injured in crashes.

So here are some tips from www.exchange.aaa.com to help you prepare. 

1. If you’re travelling long distances, beware your speed. Driving slowly will give you more traction with the road. A common mistake is speeding up to get over a hill. This is not the best idea, because trying to speed up hills, especially without four wheel drive, can make your wheels slip and get your car stuck. So when approaching a hill, speed up only a little bit to give the car some momentum, just be careful.
  2. While driving, increase the following distance of your car (the distance between you and the car in front of you). In urban areas the following distance should be three to four seconds, but since snow and ice make roads slippery, increasing it to five to six seconds to not risk rear ending a car is a good idea. Also, accelerate and decelerate slowly. If you going forty-five miles per hour, it’s going to take a little bit of time to stop, especially on the icy roads. 
  3. Get to know your brakes! Knowing whether you have ABS or not can make a difference. The difference between normal brakes and ABS is simple: when a car brakes, it presses on a circular disk that slows the car. But if you slam the brakes, it locks, causing you to have no control of direction. But ABS, aka the Anti Lock Brake System, rapidly presses on the disk allowing control over direction. However, a common misconception is that ABS will slow down faster. The simple answer to that is no, it has been proven that ABS and normal brakes stop the car at the same pace.

In the end, it’s really important to be prepared for the weather. If it says that there is a winter storm coming, ditch your plans to go out and just stay home. It’s better to stay home than risk your life, especially if you are a newer driver.