Vaping Data Taken Seriously by Schools

Carmen Ricker, Graphics Team

Vaping may seem like an exaggerated thing– as if all American high school bathrooms are filled with nothing but vape smoke– but it is a real addictive issue currently taking place with high school students in Holland, Michigan. 

It’s also deadly. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), on October 2nd of this year, the first reported mortality related to vaping was documented in Michigan. In addition, 24 other deaths in the US have been attributed to lung issues caused by vaping, and 1,080 vape related illnesses have been diagnosed, 30 of those in Michigan (CDC).

Further research from Harvard University shows that vaping leads to lung disease, and that in the last year, 3,600,000 middle and high school students have regularly used e-cigarettes. 

On Friday, October 18th during lunchtime, Kayla Nguyen, a freshman at Black River Public School, walked into the basement bathroom just to face two girls vaping. She says “vaping is not good. I have no experience, but I guess it makes me feel kind of unsafe with that at school.” 

Black River’s Dean of Students, John Donnelly, is happy to speak extensively on the topic of students vaping. He says, “I do not think it is a safe alternative to smoking- I think it is an easy cash grab for companies who are making billions at the expense of a population who doesn’t even know the potential of harmful side effects.” Some data does support this opinion: The CDC states that the vaping industry is worth almost $30,000,000,000 globally.

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is trying to stop the addiction by banning flavored e-cigarettes, and there are resources available to teens who have vaping concerns. If you or someone you know vapes and are concerned about it, check out https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/e-c for additional resources and help.