A Letter to Students from Mr. Brunink

We're all in this together, Michigan!

Shannon Brunink

We're all in this together, Michigan!

Shannon Brunink, Head of School

Happy Friday BR Students,

I wanted to let you know that in the midst of this unprecedented school closure, work is being done by all of your teachers and administrators to try and support you all.

This is a really difficult time and I know that you have questions about all kinds of things.  I won’t try and answer too much on this short post and truth be told, I don’t actually have a lot of answers…  The ones I do have are posted on the website so check those out.  For example, I’m very happy that kids are able to get food and that we could tell families where to go for those free services.  Also, AP Exam information is posted on the website if that affects you

But what about grades and these “supplemental materials/activities that my teachers are sending me?”  Right now, public schools can not offer grades or credit for work done by student during this closure.  A letter from the Michigan Department of Education is posted on our website with information from this morning.  I just was on a Zoom meeting with Representative Huizenga about this specific issue and I hope better news will come soon.

My main reason for writing this post is not to just direct you to our website, however.  A lot of the questions you may have are unanswerable at this time. That fact is unsettling, unsatisfying and it likely causes anxiety for you.  I’ll be honest, it does for me too. My concerns come from desperately wanting to make sure you all get the attention you need for graduation and all the other important milestones people your age should be able to rely on happening.   I want to be sure that you are treated fairly with a shortened (or perhaps extended) school year. I also want to make sure you all remember that we still have support for you if the stress and anxiety is becoming too much for you to know how to handle.  The bottom line is this, Black River exists for its students and we want to help you through this time.

In the meantime, would you please do this HeadRat a couple favors?

First, take a moment to tell someone how much you appreciate them.  It matters – especially in anxious times like this. 

Second, take a breath and remember how valuable and unique you are.  You are one of a kind and an incredible part of this world.

I hope you all are well, I miss seeing you all in these very quiet school halls,

Mr. Brunink